The Doctor Who Project is looking to fill the post of EDITOR for our BRIEF ENCOUNTERS range of past Doctor stories.
Details and requirements of the post can be found here on the blog.
Please note that we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
Tenth Doctor Laurent Meyer has recently been squashing rumours talking about his future in Doctor Who. Meyer who has played the role since late-2010 told the Vancouver Sun that rumours of his departure are just that, rumours.
“I’m currently busy in the midst of filming Season 41. I have no plans to leave the series at this time, or anytime in the near future. Pure rumour. I don’t know where you’re getting your information from, but these stories are obviously just that [rumours]. I love playing this part, so why would I want to leave.”
STORY 2: PALIMPSEST by Hamish Crawford
In 1919 New Orleans, the Doctor and Hannah visit Mr. Oldfield, a retired Time Lord who is married and content to live out his remaining centuries in a haunted house in Treme. When Hannah discovers Oldfield’s wife Collette is tormented by visions of a violent man who somehow is and is not her husband, a nightmarish apparition roams the house after dark, and a strange woman stalks their every step, it becomes clear that Oldfield is here to escape his past. The Doctor must explore his friend’s memories to uncover the truth.
STORY 4: DOLCE MUSICA DELLA MORTE by Matthew James
A boy who never grows old, surrounded by people ageing before their time. A monster glimpsed on the night streets, hunting for something. A force capable of destroying all life on Earth a force which the Doctor refuses to stop. Only Hannah can save the day – but then the monster gets her!
STORY 5: RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES by Richard Hoover
The Doctor is gone. Through the machinations of an alien scientist bent on changing time to revive his species at the expense of another. Stranded on the Doctor’s home world, Hannah must escape the forces of the grand high Time Lords as well as those of a band of insurgents. More, she must convince one man – the Admin – to change time in order to set the universe right and save the Doctor from a fate of walking death.
STORY 7: MOONDUST by Nick Krohn
The tensions between the human and robotic populations of Lunar Colony L8 have become potentially explosive, and The Doctor and Hannah may be at the flashpoint. When a robotic citizen is murdered, The Doctor and Hannah become fugitives from the authorities after being wrongly accused of the crime. In the race to discover the true culprit, the Doctor, Hannah, and their new friends uncover a vast conspiracy that could topple the colony’s government. When he is once again taken into custody, the Doctor must use the public broadcast of his trial for murder to uncover the true culprit before it becomes the public broadcast of his execution.
Season 41 is schedule for publication in mid-2017.
All of us here at TDWP are excited to release our latest BRIEF ENCOUNTER story, The Misshapen Planet by Chris McKeon featuring the First Doctor and companions Stephen and Dodo.
The TARDIS intercepts a distress signal traveling through time and the Doctor feels compelled to investigate. Tracing the call to a beautiful world, the Ship lands within a mysterious vessel; and soon the Doctor, Steven, and Dodo find themselves trapped in the sinister clutches of the Doctor’s old enemies, the Voord. And to make matters worse, there is also another TARDIS on board the Voord ship, a TARDIS with a Monk at its helm.
With Dodo and Steven held hostage, the Doctor is forced to assist his fellow time traveller in completing a dangerous task. But why has the Monk allied himself with the Voord? What is their bold, new intention? What is the strange object that lies at the bottom of the Ravine? And what sudden, terrifying illness has afflicted the Doctor?
The answer to these questions leads the Doctor straight into a catastrophe, which hits closer to home than he ever thought possible.
The story is available to download free in PDF format form the TDWP site. Enjoy.
BRIEF ENCOUNTERS EDITOR WANTED!
The Editor will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day running of the TDWP BRIEF ENCOUNTERS range.
ABOUT THE DOCTOR WHO PROJECT AND BRIEF ENCOUNTERS
THE DOCTOR WHO PROJECT (TDWP) is the longest continually running fan run and created fiction series based on the long-running BBC science-fiction television series Doctor Who.
TDWP centers on the continuing adventures of an alternate Doctor and his companions.
Stories are published as part of an overall season that concentrates on delivering a collection of short stories that sees the Doctor facing new and original situations in time and space.
We have been publishing original Doctor Who fiction since 1999. We are a group of fan artists, writers and editors who work together to bring an original collection of Doctor Who fiction for other fans reading enjoyment.
We have published over 100 original stories, in two strands (TDWP & Brief Encounters). We have won several awards for our fiction including two MediaWest FANQ Awards for “Best Doctor Who Fiction”.
BRIEF ENCOUNTERS is TDWPs on-going series of original short stories – typically in the 5000 word range – featuring television Doctors 1-7 and their associated companions.
Duties will include:
- Works closely with the TDWP Range Editor.
- Review and assess story proposals from prospective writers.
- Evaluate suitability of manuscripts for publication and recommend or make changes in content, style and organization.
- Read and edit copy to be published to detect and correct errors in spelling, grammar and syntax, and shorten or lengthen copy as space or time requires.
- Confer with authors, staff writers, and others regarding revisions to copy.
- Works with writers to help fine tune their stories.
- Plan and implement layout and/or format of stories to be handed off to Range Editor for publication on TDWP site.
- Plan and co-ordinate activities of staff and assure production deadlines are met.
- Write or prepare introductions, marketing and promotional materials for publication (e.g. blog, website, news services, and promotional items).
- Plan and maintain production schedule(s) for publication of Brief Encounter stories.
- Recruit, supervise and oversees Brief Encounter staff (BE Assistant Editor).
- Solicits new writers.
- Participate in Editorial Board chats.
- May be called upon to represent TDWP at conventions, events, panels, online, blogs, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should have the following skills and qualifications:
- Excellent editing skills.
- Possess a good command of the English language; speaks and writes English fluently.
- Should have had some prior experience with editing, preferably in editing fiction.
- Familiar with Doctor Who classic (1963-89) series, its history, characters, continuity, etc.
- The candidate should be imaginative, enthusiastic, open to new ideas, resourceful.
- Must be able to meet and adhere to deadlines.
- Be able to work well with others – team player.
- Be able to take direction from others.
If you have the skills and qualifications for the above position, please reply with your full name and email contact, outlining your past editing/writing experience and why you feel you would be an ideal candidate for the post.
Applicants are also asked to include a sample(s) of their writing in Word or PDF format.
Please note: We will continue to accept applications until the post is filled. (This is not a paid position.)
To apply for this position, email TDWP Editorial Board at thedoctorwhoproject@.
We’re putting out the call for more Brief Encounters stories. If you’d like to write a story featuring TV Doctors 1-7, or even TDWP Doctors 8-9, we’d love to hear from you.
Details can be found on the blog under Submission Guidelines.