BRIEF ENCOUNTERS EDITOR WANTED!
The Editor will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day running of the TDWP BRIEF ENCOUNTERS range.
ABOUT THE DOCTOR WHO PROJECT AND BRIEF ENCOUNTERS
THE DOCTOR WHO PROJECT (TDWP) is the longest continually running fan run and created fiction series based on the long-running BBC science-fiction television series Doctor Who.
TDWP centers on the continuing adventures of an alternate Doctor and his companions.
Stories are published as part of an overall season that concentrates on delivering a collection of short stories that sees the Doctor facing new and original situations in time and space.
We have been publishing original Doctor Who fiction since 1999. We are a group of fan artists, writers and editors who work together to bring an original collection of Doctor Who fiction for other fans reading enjoyment.
We have published over 100 original stories, in two strands (TDWP & Brief Encounters). We have won several awards for our fiction including two MediaWest FANQ Awards for “Best Doctor Who Fiction”.
BRIEF ENCOUNTERS is TDWPs on-going series of original short stories – typically in the 5000 word range – featuring television Doctors 1-7 and their associated companions.
Duties will include:
- Works closely with the TDWP Range Editor.
- Review and assess story proposals from prospective writers.
- Evaluate suitability of manuscripts for publication and recommend or make changes in content, style and organization.
- Read and edit copy to be published to detect and correct errors in spelling, grammar and syntax, and shorten or lengthen copy as space or time requires.
- Confer with authors, staff writers, and others regarding revisions to copy.
- Works with writers to help fine tune their stories.
- Plan and implement layout and/or format of stories to be handed off to Range Editor for publication on TDWP site.
- Plan and co-ordinate activities of staff and assure production deadlines are met.
- Write or prepare introductions, marketing and promotional materials for publication (e.g. blog, website, news services, and promotional items).
- Plan and maintain production schedule(s) for publication of Brief Encounter stories.
- Recruit, supervise and oversees Brief Encounter staff (BE Assistant Editor).
- Solicits new writers.
- Participate in Editorial Board chats.
- May be called upon to represent TDWP at conventions, events, panels, online, blogs, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should have the following skills and qualifications:
- Excellent editing skills.
- Possess a good command of the English language; speaks and writes English fluently.
- Should have had some prior experience with editing, preferably in editing fiction.
- Familiar with Doctor Who classic (1963-89) series, its history, characters, continuity, etc.
- The candidate should be imaginative, enthusiastic, open to new ideas, resourceful.
- Must be able to meet and adhere to deadlines.
- Be able to work well with others – team player.
- Be able to take direction from others.
If you have the skills and qualifications for the above position, please reply with your full name and email contact, outlining your past editing/writing experience and why you feel you would be an ideal candidate for the post.
Applicants are also asked to include a sample(s) of their writing in Word or PDF format.
Please note: We will continue to accept applications until the post is filled. (This is not a paid position.)
To apply for this position, email TDWP Editorial Board at thedoctorwhoproject@.
We’re putting out the call for more Brief Encounters stories. If you’d like to write a story featuring TV Doctors 1-7, or even TDWP Doctors 8-9, we’d love to hear from you.
Details can be found on the blog under Submission Guidelines.
DEBUTING SATURDAY MARCH 18 2017
THE MISSHAPEN PLANET
by Chris McKeon
The TARDIS intercepts a distress signal traveling through time and the Doctor feels compelled to investigate. Tracing the call to a beautiful world, the Ship lands within a mysterious vessel; and soon the Doctor, Steven, and Dodo find themselves trapped in the sinister clutches of the Doctor’s old enemies, the Voord. And to make matters worse, there is also another TARDIS on board the Voord ship, a TARDIS with a Monk at its helm.
With Dodo and Steven held hostage, the Doctor is forced to assist his fellow time traveler in completing a dangerous task. But why has the Monk allied himself with the Voord? What is their bold, new intention? What is the strange object that lies at the bottom of the Ravine? And what sudden, terrifying illness has afflicted the Doctor?
The answer to these questions leads the Doctor straight into a catastrophe, which hits closer to home than he ever thought possible…
This story features the First Doctor, Steven and Dodo.
Available March 18th in downloadable PDF format from The Doctor Who Project
Cover by Robert Carpenter
THE DOCTOR WHO PROJECT is pleased to confirm that there will be a Season 42 of the long-running project.
The new season will continue featuring the Tenth Doctor and current companion, Hannah Redfoot, and likely consist of between 6 to 8 stories. It hasn’t been confirmed if the season will feature a Christmas Special or not.
The Editors will eventually be looking for story submissions, however a date has yet to be set for submissions.
Season 42 is schedule for publication in 2018.
We have made several changes to the SEASON 41 lineup as part of continuing range of stories featuring the Tenth Doctor and companion Hannah Redfoot.
The new lineup features:
- THE THRONE OF PELADON by James P. Quick
- PALIMPSEST by Hamish Crawford
- THE WEB OF INSANITY by Ian Manning with Jeremy Remy
- DOLCE MUSICA DELLA MORTE by Matthew James
- RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES by Richard Hoover
- MOONDUST by Nick Krohn
We haven’t confirmed a launch date yet, but we’re hoping it will be either Spring or Summer 2017.
ENTER TO WIN A COPY OF BLOSSOM CORE: THE COMIC
The Doctor Who Project is giving readers a chance to win a copy of “Blossom Core: The Comic”.
To enter, send your full name and email address to: email@example.com and provide the answer to the question:
“Name the two companions featured in Blossom Core”
A winner will be drawn at random from all the correct entries submitted.
Entry Deadline: March 11, 2017